Pioneering new methods of delivering basic public services.
ARGO is a startup nonprofit that builds, operates and maintains pioneering data infrastructure to transform how basic public services like street quality, water reliability, and education volunteering are delivered.
Our mission is to leverage advances in new digital tools to help municipalities deliver public services more efficiently, effectively and imaginatively. In that spirit, we have embarked on the following projects:
Street Quality Identification Device or "SQUID" combines a Raspberry Pi microcomputer with an accelerometer, GPS and a camera to passively collect street surface quality data and provide a visual ground truth for municipal street inspection across the entire city. This project was supported by the Knight Foundation Prototype Fund and we have completed a pilot project with the city of Syracuse, NY.
- Data for Good Exchange, 2016, "Digitizing Municipal Street Inspections using Computer Vision"
- The New York Times, Why Are New York’s Streets Always Under Construction?
- Fast Company, A new cheap way to quickly map your city's potholed streets
- Syracuse.com, Syracuse to map every pothole with truck-mounted camera, $35 computer
- Staten Island Live, A 21st century proposal for 'Vision Zero for NYC Potholes'
- Metro New York, Local innovators aim for access to city contracts through new firm
- Forbes Tech Blog, The Knight Foundation Funds 20 Media Tech Projects With $35,000
- The White House, Commitments to Action on Building a Sustainable Water Future
- KQED, A New Data Initiative Is Changing Water Management
- Harper's Magazine, Land of Sod - Southern California homeowners vs. nature
- California Senate Hearing for SB272 on Modernizing Government
- In California, a $350 million social experiment over lawns
A civic engagement platform to create a seamless volunteering experience and integrate civic actions routinely. We envision this as a well designed mobile app that connects skilled volunteers with educators & classrooms to offer a new pipeline of learning opportunities. The overarching purpose is to demonstrate how a digital matching platform can offer scalable, personalized learning experiences and move us beyond our one-size-fits-all factory like education system.